Hello Guest

Author Topic: It is ever too late? (An introduction)  (Read 758 times)

Offline japoole

• John Poole
  • Private
    • View Profile
It is ever too late? (An introduction)
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
I finally did it, it took me until I was (well) over 30, but I finally sat down my friends and loved ones and admitted something to them and myself that I have been hiding from them for a long time.  I wanted to get into table top gaming.

My mum remembered my mostly untested modest imperial guard army from my late teens, my wife admitted that she always suspected, my Dad admitted similar experiments in his youth and my kids were confused at what a restraining order was, and why my new toys had one against them.

I've a supportive friend who is wiling to play Deathwatch:Overkill with me, but I'm getting the bug now, and thought it worth seeing what communities are out there for this, and just how easy I will find it to get into it.

Talk soon all.

----stealth edit----
Probably worth adding that I'm a resident of Pudsey and very keen to attend any gaming nights as an observer initially while I get my bearings

Regards
John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:45:57 PM by japoole »
None of this is real.  There is a man with a typewriter, and this is all part of his crazy imagination.

Offline Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: It is ever too late? (An introduction)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome to forum and more importantly welcome to the world of war gaming. My name is Andy and I'm the club secretary for the Night Owls.

Our club meets just about every Sunday within The Cardigan Centre on Cardigan road, Leeds between 10am and 3pm. You will find us a welcoming club and if you make it down would advise a trip down one Sunday to see what we are all about, apart from March 27 as we are having enforced family time due to the the centre being shut.

Within the club we play a vast range of games with most periods and systems played. To give you an idea of what currently is being played Ive listed a few systems below:

40k/30k
Frostgrave
Kings of War
Bolt Action
Saga
X Wing
Wings of Glory
Infinity
and probably just about anything else you could possibly think off.

If you can make it down I look forward to meeting you, introducing you to other members and having a chat with you.

Regards

Andy
AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM, NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN. AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND THE MORNING. WE WILLREMEMBER THEM

Offline japoole

• John Poole
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Andy.

Perhaps it's simply the thought of that untested (and now missing) army I put together in my youth, but 40K is my current focus.  Will aim to come over one week when I've distracted the wife with a few bottles with red liquid in them.

None of this is real.  There is a man with a typewriter, and this is all part of his crazy imagination.

Offline Soulshade

• Darryl / Daz
  • Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • A Tale of 4 Geeks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Youll find that the majority of the club is around the 30+ mark so dont let that worry you. Also we have a few members living in / around the Pudsey area. Neil is local and Spuddy (Simon Burdett) lives in Bradford.

Offline gazza

• Gazza
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Welcome aboard, I'm just starting attending the club again as work/family has got in the way over the past year. As Andy said we are all a friendly bunch and lots of different games are played as said, welcome and hope to see you soon. I'm also another one of the pudsey members (just down from white horse) and mainly into BA, starting impetus but also anything historical.

Cheers,

Gaz.
Forget gaming - I just like painting stuff :-D

Offline japoole

• John Poole
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Welcome aboard, I'm just starting attending the club again as work/family has got in the way over the past year. As Andy said we are all a friendly bunch and lots of different games are played as said, welcome and hope to see you soon. I'm also another one of the pudsey members (just down from white horse) and mainly into BA, starting impetus but also anything historical.

Cheers,

Gaz.

I'm not far from the Marsh if you know the area, small world!

Welcome aboard.  Youll find that the majority of the club is around the 30+ mark so dont let that worry you. Also we have a few members living in / around the Pudsey area. Neil is local and Spuddy (Simon Burdett) lives in Bradford.

That's a relief! 

Offline gazza

• Gazza
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
yeah, know it well, nice pub lol
Forget gaming - I just like painting stuff :-D

Offline Simon Burdett

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

I don't live in Bradford! I live next to pudsey cemetery just off cemetery road, and yes I've bitten his bait :(
Twitter - @spuddyburdett
Instagram - @burdmeister

Offline Soulshade

• Darryl / Daz
  • Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • A Tale of 4 Geeks
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 07:05:01 AM »
 ;D

Offline japoole

• John Poole
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the very warm welcome week-before last chaps.  Spent a very enjoyable day playing wings of glory!

Will be down again next month.

Offline japoole

• John Poole
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
Note:  You didn't scare me off.  Last year was rather epic in terms of my day job.  Will be back in coming weeks, and will be bringing my Sigmarines or Genestealer cultists along with me.